Engage.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Hi there! Good to see you. Its been too long, hasn't it? Why, it certainly has...

Hmm, I admit that over the last week or two I've lost some love for writing in the manner to which I'm akin. Question question question-you know-analyze analyze analyze. At times I can remind myself of a 5 year old. "Why is the sky blue?", "Why does the camel have a hump?", "What makes the sun rise?" Lifetimes can be spent asking questions and looking for answers. And how is that so different from living a life of faith-living for something other than this moment and the next? Uh oh, I'm questioning again, grrr...

So, I've got this big furry thing on my face and my girlfriend thinks it makes me look cute, like a teddy bear or sasquatch or something. Others think it makes me look like Abe Lincoln or Brigham Young or a Quaker. I'd rather they say I look like Wolverine or Radman or Coolamajoola. But, oh well.

Facial hair art can be such a challenge. I've done it all; except for the Everyman Goatee, Death Rocker Goatee, the Jam Band Braided or Dreaded Goatee, the Gold Panner Big Beard, and a little thing called The Mustache. Back in the day I even did the thin stuff. You know, like what every frat boy from Beverly Hills to Boston sports these days. The thin sideburns, chops, or chin straps that go so well with button down trainers and a backwards baseball cap. I shaved clean straight lines onto my face long before such lines came to be associated with popular baseball and NASCAR sporting personalities. At the time, I was lucky enough to see that the thin look would soon become horribly uncouth, so I moved on to the next thing. In the ninetees, I exhausted all "next thing" options. A major break through occured for me when I abandoned the soul patch for good. I was ready to step boldly into the 21st century. During my school days, I settled for tasteful unpretentious side burns of various lengths. Finally, for months before the furry thing on my face happened, I had decided that a fully shaven face was the best face to have. (see, head hair is usually finer and straighter than beard hair, and I thought that the transition zone between straight and coarse hair somewhere near the sideburns was a bad bad zone to have..duh!) I was pretty content with the clean shaven look, but I admit, it was rather boring. So, this happened. This thing on my face that makes me look like a Wookie or Mennonite or Goat. I like the look, but I'm getting that ol' restless feeling again. Things are going to have to change. If I'm lucky, I'll change before Dale Earnhardt Junior pops out of the driverside window of his multicolored chevy with the same beard and inspires all of NASCAR America to grow one.

4 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Josh, the furry thing on your face is much too "clean cut" to make you look like Wolverine. Frankly, you resembled the Wolverine much more when you were sporting the "Taliban Josh" look. *rowr* And yea, so you have the same sort of furry thing that Abe Lincoln had on his face, but yours is less scroungy and more attractive.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Josh said...

thanks fer that darlin (wolverine speak).

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Jim, did you just throw up a little in your mouth?? ausome! I'm just happy my blog affected someone deep down; you know, as deep as the bowels.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Oh yeah. I don't mind the bushy hair crap the kids've got these days. I think its kind of cool..that is, unless it seems as if one o' the kids is trying to outdo all else with some freaked out white boy super giganti-fro. that's lame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home