Engage.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Fucked Up, unedited

I'm not the most sincere person in the world, atleast not outwardly so. I like to joke. I'm a big fan of sarcasm. Nothing special, but it keeps me light hearted much of the time. Which, as Fern would put it, works for me. Still, despite my own preference, I usually feel quite serious/sincere. You know, deep down and stuff. That's ok, because I think it grants me a sense of urgency that without I don't think I'd be as concerned about making the most of every day. Also, I might not perform as well on the job. Plus, I think that a person who is never serious/sincere might have a hard time living a principled life or feeling a genuine appreciation for others.

What I want to express is that I am not only serious emotionally much of the time, but I'm also sensitive. This may be news worthy because throughout my life I've heard people make comments regarding the fact that I appear to be very mellow, er cool, er content, er whatever. A coworker who is a Jackass remarked that I appear to be smug, as if I think I'm the best bicycle sales person who ever lived. Interestingly, I think that what Jackass has observed is an employee, me, working like he's being paid to work, which, last I checked, I am.

Here's news. I was an extremely emotional kid. I cried my head off when mom was gone for hours or days. I cried and clung to her leg when she tried to drop me off at kindergarten. I cried when I got frustrated with something I couldn't do. I hated to lose games, and when I did, I didn't want to play them any more. I cried when my older sisters and brothers teased or harrassed me as sisters and brothers are known for doing.

Something interesting happened to me as I grew up. I witnessed good people become totally consumed and controlled by their emotions. My mother and father engaged in fearsome booming arguments when I was around the ages of 3 and 5. I was also there for the divorce of my mom's second husband, which didn't involve as much noise but a similar hatred which permeated the air leading up to the first divorce. I went to church throughout my childhood and watched as belief repeatedly spawned from emotional response instead of reason and due consideration. The interesting thing that happened to me was that I came to despise emotion, primarily when it alone was the catalyst for action. I aspired to be a logical, reasonable person. I wanted to be spoc-like. Several years later I can say pretty confidently that I'm a very reasonable person. But can I say that I'm as emotionally open as I once was? Can I say that my logical side hasn't come at the expense of greater emotional versatility and readiness(?). No.

I have a hypothesis or two for why I have been so shy much of my life. First, if you are an emotional child and you are often nervous or sad, you are more afraid to open your mouth around others in the fear that your emotions will get the best of you. So, you try to contain them. And you avoid social interaction. Second, I think that its possible that my experiences as a young child could have been traumatic enough to induce some sort of emotional shock, which shut me up. Mom told me that I simply stopped talking for quite awhile when I was 3, and this was the time when she and dad were having some pretty intense arguments. And third, since I developed such a bad opinion of emotion in general, I had little to say. Most of what is said is an expression of some sort anyway. I didn't feel the need to say anything since it was as if I had willingly made myself emotionally numb (however, I have a hard time believing that I could do that).

So, the shyness I've had has been a hinderance for me, for expressing myself more sincerely. Which, is not really a big deal or anything. I believe that times which require absolute sincerity and an expression of our most heart-felt emotions are actually few. Those expressions should be special and not made common. For example, ((this has nothing to do with my personal life, so don't try to read anything into it)) I don't know if I'm a big fan of saying "I love you" seventyteen times a day to anyone and everyone. I'm not a big fan of pecking your partner on the lips in place of "hello" and "have a nice day." Kisses should always be passionate. Plus, I don't think things should be made into a big deal unless they are truly a big deal. I experienced a tad more unjustified big deal making than I would have preferred when I visited the entire family a week ago.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe I succeeded in training myself to feel emotional primarily when things occur that are extraordinarily touching or important. Of course that's most likely crapola, because almost every day or every other day I'm reminded that I am still the same person I was when I was a kid. An emotional mess. I can only hope to make good use of that mess someday.

8 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Given that I come from a family in which no emotion for family members was ever expressed, I've grown up thinking that "I love you"s are completely unnecessary. The first time that anyone said "I love you" to me, I was so uncomfortable that I almost died. Thereafter, I developed something of a severe annoyance with the phrase. On the one hand, there are certain intense emotions which (1) are served an injustice by attaching words/descriptions to them (2) are indescribable by words/descriptions and (3) are better felt in silence. For example, when I was oversensitive the other day and was crying about the beautiful flowers I saw, I certainly wasn't sad even though "sad" was the only word I could think of to describe what I was feeling. While I'm not advocating that people's emotions be taken for granted or assumed, someone who understands the human condition and is sensitive to their own feelings, as well as other peoples', could probably get the point across without having to compact the sum-total of their feelings into the inadequate phrase of "I love you". And not to be corny, but silence can mean so much.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Vernarial said...

I agree with you (fern) that sometimes emotions could be trivialised by words, but personally I really enjoy being reminded. I get a warm fuzzy feelinganytime my brother gives me the 'ol "Love Ya, Bra". I sometimes feel unloved and wish for a simple "I love you." Emotions ARE much more powerful than words. But words can help convey a state of emotion to another.
Meloy, I don't find you to be particularly introverted or extroverted. I find you to be quite stable emotionally, but I am conversing with you through a computer.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Fern, its been a while since you posted this; but from the time I read it I meant to reply. I spaced it. This is one of the most intelligent things I've ever read and I couldn't agree more. Its an interesting enough discussion (about the phrase "I love you") that I'm thinking that a blog devoted to the subject might be in order. For now I'll say I totally understand being somewhat annoyed by the way in which people use and abuse the phrase. Also, Vern, I totally understand the need for expressed love/affection. The funny thing is though, the less alone I am, and the closer I am to someone, the less I have a burning desire to hear that phrase. Implications of this phenomenon are VERY interesting in that here we have ANOTHER slightly innoble relationship between love and some negative concept. In this case, that other concept is not physical beauty, but loneliness and neediness. Another tough question that must be addressed if we ever hope to figure out what true, noble love really is, is: How much is love dependent upon desperation or neediness? If a person is completely content being by him/herself, is that person capable of feeling love? Anyway, the goal of these sorts of questions is not to erode the sanctity/glory of love, but, on the contrary, to discover what real love is-when love with all extraneous "innoble" baggage (like physical beauty and loneliness) cleared away.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Yeah Vern, I'm an introvert who can be extroverted at times. As far as emotional stability goes, I suppose I'm as stable as most, which, according to me, is not very stable at all. All sane, stable humans are really not that different from insane and unstable people--or not far from becoming that way.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Where to begin? It is fundamental to begin with definitions. Therefore, we can divide love into several genres. There is the obligated sort of love I feel towards my parents, there is the love that I feel towards all people (perhaps compassion would be a better word for that), then there are more specific kinds of love that we bestow upon certain individuals. And then there's this magical sort of romantic love that I see the sparkles of in movies. As the perpetual pessimist, I've got to wonder whether love even exists. Obviously, I am very emotional and I feel many things for many people, but if you realize that all of our emotions are basically a chemical reaction to stimuli in our brains, the concept of love doesn't seem quite as pure and grand. It's a myth that emotions come from the heart. If someone kisses me and whispers sweet nothings into my ear, that produces a chemical reaction in my brain and apparently the simplest way to articulate this chemical reaction to the other person is to use the word love. But wouldn't it be more specific and accurate if I were to describe the chemical process in my brain rather to say "love" with sparkles in my eyes. Which is to say that "love" is neither fixed nor tangible. Its meaning is vast and it can sometimes be purely momentary. What I have difficulty coming to terms with is the idea that I can be so amazingly and blindingly in love with someone at a given time and at another time not only not being in love with them but either feeling a negative emotion for them or having forgotten all about them. I fail to understand how, if love is this pure and beautiful emotion that everyone places onto a pedestal, people seem to fall in and out of love so easily.
What is more, regarding Josh's observation about whether love is linked to a desire to avoid loneliness, etc., it is a perfectly human desire (and possibly need, I'm not sure) to have companionship. Actually, companionship tends to be a very natural desire/need throughout the natural world. I don't think that someone is needy or desperate if they don't much want to spend the entirety of their life alone. And I don't think its needy or desperate to enjoy having companionship. Obviously, there's a balance that individuals need to maintain in terms of companionship and being able to be comfortable alone for a while. The needy desperation appears when a person just can't handle being alone. Just to state the obvious there. But at the end of the day, I just have to wonder about all of the things that I might feel toward a companion and whether or not all of those emotions comprise the term "love".
What is more, if love exists, it is clear that it is a strong emotion (or, as I contend, a series of strong emotions). And while I too may actually be one of those people who looks highly upon the notion of love, I have to admit that it seems like some people have a rather distorted perspective on love. There's the battered wife who returns to her abusive husband because she thinks that she's in love with him. While I wouldn't characterize her feelings as love in any way shape or form, considering that love is a personal thing and experienced by the individual, I have to wonder whether it is love if she thinks its love. Back to the question, what is love? Then, there's the cheesy marketing of love in the form of pink hears, cherubs, stuffed animals, etc., during Valentine's Day. While I obviously think that having a whole day to celebrate the concept of love and affection is great, the methods that companies use to represent love (in the form of a fluffy pink bear with a heart) are demeaning and annoying enough to get in the way of my appreciating love.
Wow, that was long.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Josh said...

I claimed to know what love was once. Lately, I've put love on trial, just to see what comes from it, so the concept has become slightly more tenuous. But, I still think I'm capable of describing the feeling of love; or atleast what I've thought love is supposed to feel like.
For example, you might feel as if you could seriously hurt or kill someone who would harm or threaten the one you love. Plus, the thought of the person dying is heartwrenching. You can't be away from the person for long before you feel very lonely and need them by your side. You can't keep your hands off them. hmmm... I know there are more descriptions of how it feels to be in love, but, for now, I'm muy tired and off to bed.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

While I was not sleeping last night, it occurred to me that on some level, it's pretty ridiculous of me to be making the case against love on my boyfriend's website. I have a bad attitude about people who need to be constantly reassured about my feelings for them. While verbal displays of affection are always pleasant, it is much easier for me to respect someone as a well-balanced individual if they are confident enough in themselves to trust in the obviousness of what my feelings for them are. Which is to say that I'm not arguing against love per-se, I simply have issues with the way in which many people deal with love.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Josh said...

We've both felt that its a little ridiculous or careless to develop a case against love when you and I have something really good happening.
Still, I say "so what". It's a very interesting topic. It's something I would discuss with or without a girlfriend. Besides being each others boyfriend and girlfriend, we are friends, and friends tend to have fun, philosophical discussions from time to time. Very normal. Also, I think that we're both speaking in a purely philosophical/analytical way regarding all the nuances, moral/logical fallicies surrounding love. Real life, real time feelings we have for one another are, um, I think, above this lowly analytical discussion...At the end of the day there is very little logic we can trust. We are left with what we started with and perhaps something more:..desire, and desire to live...
Vague enuf4U?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home