Engage.

Monday, August 01, 2005

What happens when I'm not in the writing mood but I write anyway

I really don't have anything to say tonight. But check it out, I'm writing anyway.

I just finished reading the live coverage of a European "Classic" road race called the Hew Classic. No, the race didn't just happen-it took place a couple of days ago-but its still fun to read how the race unfolded, kilometer by kilometer.

In case you didn't know, road racing can be quite suspensful. In the Hew Classic this year, three riders "broke away" early in the race and had such a tremendous lead on the peleton that even the commentators were doubting that the group would catch back up. But sure enough, the chasers timed things perfectly so that the breakaway was caught with just a few kilometers remaining.

While I read the race report tonight, I ate a big bowl of Rice Chex mixed with Wheat Chex and a little sugar. I love cereal. I really really do. Last night I allowed myself to buy whatever cereal I wanted regardless of price. I went with two boxes of Chex and a box of Wheaties. I had been out of cereal and milk for well over a week, and I was sick to death of being without my comfort food...thus, I splurged and bought cereal that cost over 20 cents an ounce. I've yet to feel a tinge of regret.

[I just poured myself another bowl. This time I went with the Wheat Chex by itself. I have such a hard time deciding which Chex I like best. It may be impossible.]

Before eating my cereal and reading the race report, I saw my girlfriend off with a "sleep tight" and a kiss. I shut the door and she headed home.

Its not news to some, but Fern and I don't sleep together; and by "sleep", I mean a state of unconsciousness, dreaming, and REM. On some level we both would really enjoy falling asleep in each others arms, but on another level we are glad that we're so much alike when it comes to sleeping-we are extremely finicky/sensitive. Atleast we both have the same problem falling asleep when we're crowded next to each other with imperfect bedding n' such. We both enjoy sleeping so much that we don't feel too bad at all going our seperate ways at the end of the day and splaying out on our own beds, hogging our own comforters and pillows.

Today after work, Fern came over so that we could engage in some two wheeled fun. That we did, as we road our bikes through the BSU campus (with me feeling quite gleeful for no longer attending the school), climbed a steep sidewalk, descended a rocky path, circled a large park fountain, rolled over wooden bridges, swerved around trees, bounded up and down humps, dropped down steps, popped up curbs, and played bike limbo with parking lot flags. All skills that come in handy when one is riding technical terrain on singletrack.

Work today was a titch hectic. We were missing one employee who had gone on vacaction. Since that one employee is a guy named Rick, I wasn't feeling too upset about the fact that I had to hussel more than usual. Rick is Mr. BA, and not just about customers, but about fellow employees. Rick working at a bike shop is like someone who faints at the sight of blood being a paramedic. Its like a Marine sergeant being a hair dresser. Or a midget playing in the NBA. You get the point.

Well, tonight is the first of my two Friday nights of the week. I'm off tomorrow, and then its back to work Wednesday, followed by my second Friday of the week, Thurday. I'm off Friday. Comprende? I'm actually in a state of mourning because today I found out that starting the 21st of this month we go back to working five 8 hour days. I really like the way things are right now, with my two Mondays and two Fridays a week. I enjoy my 3 days off. Anyway, not much can be done about it. I'll still have Friday and Saturday off, so atleast I'll have a full day off that I can share with Fern. Boise is a great place to live if you want to set out on single day adventures. The Owyhees aren't far off. True mountain wilderness is less than an hour away. And of course, there's one of the country's best trail systems essentially out my back door. This all reminds me of a blog I've wanted to write entiteled "You've got to be crazy not to live in Boise."

4 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wait...you didn't mention anything about the change in your work schedule. Yippie! Do you realize that is two hours earlier when we can get the fun happening? With those two extra hours, we could do so much more after work rather than only being able to do one activity. It wouldn't have to be a choice between hanky panky, bike ride, dinner, bar, movie, whatever. I am exited.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Josh said...

yayyy... Thanks for seeing things on the bright side, yet again. Truthfully, I haven't thought of how the new schedule will make each day something other than just a work day-there will be time to live after work. cool. I still feel a little Eorish this morning after looking at my Bank of America invoice and seeing a $50 periodic finance charge. garrr that bites. I've had thoughts of selling my car, selling my beloved Strong, and getting a second job. Poo. On the bright side, I am looking forward to riding up and down Bogus Basin Road and then chill'n out this evening.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You can't sell your Strong! You ride that more than your other three bikes combined.

I'm sorry about the $50 finance charge. I know how much it sucks to be in debt like that, but there's no point in panicking and making rash decisions. If you sold your Strong you would buy another comparable bike within the year. Not a lot of point to that. As long as you just refrain from going bananas in your spending and try to slowly but steadily pay off the credit card, everything will be fine.

Don't wear yourself out too much today. But have fun.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I don't think I could sell the Strong even if I wanted to. I know I couldn't get out of it what its worth--to me especially.

Don't be alarmed, the fuzzy thing is gone. Actually, I'm a little alarmed myself due to whiteness of my face in comparison to the rest of my body, and thanks to how much smaller my face looks without the beard. I don't think I like this, can I glue the beard back on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home