Engage.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Its been a tough two-day work week. On my Monday, the register received over $13,000. I sold several bikes and had little time to do anything but sell bikes. Today, during my Friday, we sold almost $10,000 worth of merchandise, including 5 bikes sold by yours truly. Once again, I had little time to do much besides sell bikes.

You know, if there are food items easier and quicker to eat than corn dogs, I don't know what they are. I mean, a hot dog on a stick covered in cornmeal-its hand-held, pre-cooked, and bite-sized! Still, I didn't have time today to relish my lunch, it was that busy. My Monday (Sunday) was an 8 hour day and my Friday (Monday) lasted over 10 hours. So I'm a bit pooped.

The Paris Roubaix was raced yesterday in France and Belgium. Its an outrageously exciting 7 hour race with crashes galore, shows of brute force, and demonstrations of the mind's victory over pain; and a race that could only be viewed by those with access to televisions tuned to the Outdoor Life Network. OLN can only be had if one owns a Direct TV satellite. Needless to say, I hate Cable One for dropping OLN several years ago, and I hate the fact that I can't sit at home and watch all of the great spring classics that are shown on Sundays. I just couldn't miss the Paris Roubaix if I could help it, so immediately after work, I rushed down to Bitter Creek Pub and Grill and asked the bartender if she could please switch channels to OLN. Dave Gettle and I pulled up a seat and watched the last half hour of the race. I'm glad I did, because the craziest thing happened during the race, just 10 kilometers from the finish. The lone leader made it across some railroad tracks just before the railroad lights started blinking red and the gates went down. Three chasers, just 30 seconds behind the leader, blew around the gates; but moments later when Tom Boonen's group came upon the gates, the officials stopped his group as the train zoomed past. Boonen and his compatriots just stood there shaking their heads, knowing that the race was lost for them. After about 15 seconds, the train had passed and they were able to get going again.

For those who aren't cycling fans, let me assure you that this was a surreal moment; to see Tom Boonen, the defending champion of the Paris Roubaix and the current World Champion coming to a complete stop during the most intense, all-out, no holds barred period of the race, and standing there looking at the birds fly by, as a train passed in front of him. Strange moment indeed.

Tonight, like I've mentioned, I was pooped after being on my feet for almost 11 hours. So I called Fern and asked her to come by the house, since I was too exhausted to escape it myself. She came over and we chatted a bit. It was quite nice. Yesterday night it was much the same. I'm looking forward to my Saturday (Tuesday). I hope the weather will be conducive to bicycle riding. Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home