Engage.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Weekend Warrior

Oh, I'm already embarrased. This is going to be the shortest posting yet, but I'm committed to making some sort of note regarding my weekends' activities, regardless of whether or not I'm brimming with energy or creativity.
Last Friday, with renewed zest for exploration, I rode my mountain bike in an area just west of Bogus Basin Road-a complex of trails I'd only been on twice in the last 10 years. I felt great riding big-gear/medium-gear intervals up Bogus Basin Road, riding new terrain, being drenched in sweat, and learning future route-possiblities. Back home I rediscovered the usefullness of Google Maps satellite images as I analyzed the terrain I'd just ridden, and memorized the location of nearbye trails I've yet to ride.
Later that day, I hung out with Randy at the Flying M, and later spent time with Fern.
Saturday, Fern picked me up and took me to the M, where we ate our breakfasts of granola and blue berries, and bought Mochas for the road. We drove to Emmett, parked in front of Albertsons, used its facilities to get ready, and set out on our adventurous tour of the Payette River valley. The miles ticked by beneath our wheels. The weather during the first half of the ride was perfect, the rural scenery quite pretty, and traffic sparse. 25 miles and an hour and a half later, we rolled into New Plymouth. In a local market we found the goods necessary for refueling our bodies and continuing our journey. I consumed fig bars, tea w' honey, as well as cheese n' beefstick for the salt. Fern had a Lunchable. After topping off our water and posing for some photos, we returned to rural Idaho roads, this time south of the Payette River on the "orchard" side of the valley. Things heated up a great deal; but as we both proclaimed, it wasn't that bad as long as we kept riding. Our route took us over fun rollercoastery roads, a stretch of gravely canal road, past menacing dogs, and alongside cherry orchards (from which I aquired n' ate a couple ripe n' sweet cherrys). For our viewing pleasure, there were all kinds of colorful cows, horses, goats, lamas, and other four legged creatures off in fields along the way. During the ride I experienced Fern experiencing speeds on her bike that I don't know if she had ever experienced before. At one point, I felt something fly down my jersey. Immediately afterwards I cluched at my jersey in an attempt to capture/crush whatever it was that was stinging me. It turned out to be a wasp. As fun and rad as the ride was, we were just becoming ready to be done as we approached Emmett. Later that day; Eric, Randy, and I went to Buster's to take watch the prologue of the Tour de France. We were there entirely too long (two hours) given the low level of excitement created from a mini time trial. I felt sick upon eating lack-luster hot wings. That evening, I met Fern for a movie at Satchel's. I treated myself to a glass of white wine, and attempted to get into the old movie. Ultimately, I gave into exhaustion, and headed home before the end.

2 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ooh, yay, I just posted some of the very same material but without having read this. I think I somehow honed in on your blog post before even reading it.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Josh said...

you psychic you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home