Engage.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

On the Subject of Microsubjects

How serious is this?
--That's a pretty serious question. It implies that there is something that we're all equally conscious of, that can be referred to in a semi-specific manner, as in the current case, with the word "this"; we'll automatically understand the weight and character of "this." This is life. But its more than that. Its this moment. Its how we live it and the following moments.
When someone writes something like what I'm writing now, I can imagine a collective flush of embarrassment or an uncontrolled increase in anxiety among readers when they realize that someone is making an attempt at saying something profound. --because, well, really, who can write about "life", "happiness", "spirituality", "politics", etc, etc without sounding very very very dumb. I'm aware of that phenom. Also, I'm all too aware of how boring and pointless discussions about these subjects can be. I know that we are simply incapable of taking such generalized subjects and manufacturing any thoughts about them that haven't been manufactured a million times over already. Blame it on the subjects. They just aren't conducive to intelligent thought. The subjects are like a series of paintings from a "master" entitled "Night and Day." All the paintings are half black and half white. The series is 1000 years old, countless books have been written about it, old art critics have gone to their death bed locked in bitter contention with other critics regarding the meaning and significance of the series. But, to this day, nothing of any truth can be said about the paintings, except that they were painted by Fernando Whatshishead and that they are half black and half white.
Still, there are times when I enjoy extremely simplistic art. Not because I think that throwing some paint around on canvass indiscriminately is a great achievement or that its pleasant to look at, but because, under the right circumstances, such art (or thoughts) act as a key, a trigger, for the mind. Something basic, simple, is more likely, in my opinion, to open up doors in our minds (making original thought possible) than complex ideas or works which we've trained ourselves to gaze past. Here's a reminder (since I know this is written hastily and with absence of skill): The analogy I'm trying to draw is between simple art and core ideas like Seriousness. I think subjects like "seriousness" or even "happiness" can actually transcend their traditional cliche-ish pigeon holing and actually be fun and interesting to discuss. We are not talking about how George Bush is going to destroy the world as we know it. Its not the weather either. Its a micro-discussion of something that is even more fundamental than the subjects most amateur philosophical discuss. In the next few weeks, I'll act on a couple of tendencies I have and see where they take me. In writing and thought, I'll take up micro subjects like seriousness and dissect them even further. We'll see if any new doors open up. Oh, c'mon guys, it'll be fun!! yayyy...

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Hey tintin. I just read your message after what may have been a couple months. I'm feeling a tad sentimental this morning, and your comment has only exacerbated the condition...thanks. I am glad you think that Fern and I are a perfect match and that you want to meet me. Maybe we can ride someday...I promise not to look back too many times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home