Engage.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

This Little Piggy...

Last night I dreamt that four toes on my right foot had fallen off. I think I had lost a couple on the left foot as well. Something so shocking as looking down and seeing only one stubby toe wriggle when all toes are commanded to wriggle is cause for doubting what one is seeing. And I did doubt. I was a responsible dreamer. And intelligent. Not gullible at all. As I gauked at the grotesque stump that was my foot, I considered the possibility that I was drunk, insane, or even (eh hem) dreaming. I said, dreaming. But, upon closer inspection, I concluded that yes, that grotesque stump was in fact my foot, and that, yes, it was %100 real, and, finally, yes, I was truly fucked. I was so convinced of this fact that I proceeded to think very rationally about the whole affair and how it would affect my life. I thought about what would have caused the toes to leave my body. A particularly nasty type of diabetes, I concluded. I thought about whether or not I would be able to walk, run, or hike like I had been able to when I was whole. To find out, I stood up and did a few jigs, side to side sort of motions, and found that while I wasn't able to push off each foot as purposefully as before, I was able to balance and move around well enough. I thought about where the toes were now and realized that my room was a little messy. They could be anywhere. Under my dirty clothes. Within the pile of shoes next to my bed (uhg!). Under my bed. In the sheets (ahk!). I also couldn't help but wonder if my girlfriend would still be my girlfriend after she got a chance to take in the horror of it all for herself. I thought rationally about this. Could she lie next to a freak o' nature with 5 toes, total? Could I, if things were reversed. I remember thinking that maybe after 4 months, Jennifer might like me enough to want to stick around, despite the fact that her boyfriend was a grotesque cripple. But I wasn't sure. What I was sure of, evidently, was that this retarded dream wasn't a dream. It was real. I was so convinced of this that I remember thinking about how loosing my toes most certainly meant that this thing called life was accelerating towards death much quicker than I had expected. I thought that at this rate, I'd be one of those living stumps recklessly piloting his electric Rascal around town in a few short years. So, naturally, I told myself that I'd need to start thinking about offing myself fairly soon.
At some point, I woke up, wriggled all ten toes, and felt very silly about the whole thing.

3 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I've never been a foot person. I frequently find myself staring at my or someone else's feet only to conclude that feet are weird looking. If someone has exceptionally weird looking feet, even if they are an amazing individual, and they playfully poked me with their feet, I would not like that. You, Josh, have rather nice feet. At least, where feet are concerned. While I like my feet a little better than your feet, your feet at least do not have the strange growth that mine have. Of course, my slight repulsion from feet completely ignores the rather useful function of feet - - mobility. I am a fan of mobility. On the topic of what I would think about a foot if it were to lack toes, I would hypothesize that everything would be just fine if you still had the mobility thing down. I would probably ask that you refrain from poking me with your stump of a foot. Besides, it's three months and not four.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Josh said...

really? I was so ready to write 3 months. I ignored the impulse. hrm. I really thought it was Jan, Feb, March, April. We met on February 21? seems so much longer... ((I do remember your birthday, June 5. Does that make up for anything?)

yay, thanks. I shouldn't have any more nightmares about being crippled, er, stumpy, and you leaving me because of said stumpyness.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

No, January 21st. But that's three months. January 21st to February 21st = 1 month. February 21st to March 21st = 1 month. March 21st to April 21st = 1 month. I can't believe I just took the time to type all of that out. Anyroad, it's three months.

Speaking of dreams, I had a dream last night that I was getting some photocopies done and it was taking way too long so I went to grab a pint. Now, I'm craving a pint. We should get a pint tonight. Unless, of course, you're otherwise engaged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home