Engage.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Faith in Brilliance

What the?!- I'm stuck in tiny font! It was an accident, and now the computer won't let me change back to "Normal Size." This is like a bad dream. Alice and Wonderland shit. Is this better? Thank you Jesus.
As I was about to say: I think I'll take myself down to the Flying M and attempt to be creative. I'll bring a sketch book, journal, maybe some fiction, and possibly some nonfiction. Something to nurse every possible mood I'm capable of falling into. I mean, except for the mood "horny." I'll have to deal with that somewhere other than atop the M's cushy leather couch. As liberal as the M is, I suspect that "reading" Penthouse within the shop's doors might actually force one of its too-liberal-for-school baristas to do something they never thought they'd do-engage in censorship. On the other hand, if they're like me (too-liberal-fo-yo-mama...?), they'd just sit back and enjoy the show.
I apologize for that.
Let me get back to something like a point. I want, I need, to do something creative. I'm sure everyone reading understands. Most people need a creative outlet. We all need to express ourselves in a way that transcends our normal day to day communication. Art is to conversation as conversation is to small talk. Or so says I. Regardless of whether or not my last statement is valid, I think we can all agree that in order to feel good, and feel good about ourselves, most of us need to create. Ok, so here's the issue: creating can be a struggle. It can be work. Here's a related issue: we've been missled into thinking that something called "brilliance" will cause us to produce something profound and beautiful over night. Personally, I'm getting sick of having faith in brilliance. I'm tired of sitting around waiting for it to tap me on the shoulder and say, "er, excuse me sir, but here is that masterpiece you've been expecting." Its just not that easy and it most likely never will be. Fate does not owe me a masterpiece. The sum of all the emotional pain I've experienced will not someday spill out onto canvass as an instant classic.
Creating can be effortless, but its not supposed to be. And we're not supposed to be able to create something amazing effortlessly, especially within a given period of time. If we won't be satisfied expressing ourselves in a manner of average quality, then the bare minimum we must do is accept that it may take years or decades to become capable of greatness. It takes patience. And possibly a complete abandonment of expectations. But I think its best to remain in state of expectation/excitement over our future work-the stuff we know we'll create and love if we stay committed to art-if we keep playing with art and working with art-if we make it a part of our lives. The quality of our art will progress over time. Its also possible that we could produce something great today. So, logically speaking, the excitement we have for creating something new or great should remain at a pretty high level each and every day. There's a degree of unpredictability about the whole creative process. Maybe I'll take my own words to heart and become more excited about drawing, painting, and writing.
In the end though, my mood and my creativity are not governed by logic. So, I can't make myself feel happy simply by thinking about creating something cool sometime down the road. And, like Stewart Smiley, I'm ok with that. I'll sit down with a pen and paper when I find the time, and I'll go at it. I'll draw and write and paint when I feel creative, and I'll do the same when I don't feel very creative. When its a struggle I'll work at it with patience. I won't do anything when I simply can't do anything. (Its possible to be physically/mentally incapable of creating) I'll try to remember that those times are going to happen...
Ok, clearly I'm in "self help" mode this morning. I think I'll help myself to a mocha and chocolate chip cookie now. bye.




12 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I did have a change of font during the composition of this here item...it happened right before I said, "is this better? thank you Jesus." poo.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Amy Claybaugh said...

I was just thinking the other day about how hard it is to create, and was even thinking of writing in my weblog about it. How handy that you wrote in your weblog about it and my weblog is linked to your weblog. Fortuitous, one might say.

(thanks for the pimpin')

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Josh said...

crazy how psychic congruences happen among people whose lives converge out of shere circumstance. (ausome, three cool "c" words in one sentence!)
Thanks to Fern for getting your link up for me. And thanks to Fern for explaining to me what you meant by "the pimpin'".

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Did you delete the latest post??? I just tried to post a comment onto it and it failed and I was upset because I took time out of my life for naught. I hate it when I take time out of my life for naught. Have a good day.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Yeah, my post was--how would you say?--retarded.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Vernarial said...

I just wanted to say Hiya.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Hiya Vernarial! Fern got a kick out of your name. She wanted to call herself Fernarial, but I wouldn't let her do it. Its a Vern original, it can't be coppied. Cool to hear from you.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

While I try to err on the side of non-wanker, wouldn't it be Vernereal???

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Josh said...

I don't know, I haven't ever had a venareal (or venereal) disease, so I wouldn't know how to spell it. How do YOU know its venereal?? Huh?? So there! Actually, I thought what was so funny was that everyone wanted to engage in arial acrobatic manuevers. Wait. Is that spelled "aerial". Whatever.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Vernarial said...

Picky, picky. I suppose you are right, Fern, but I have gone so long with the "arial" spelling it would take me years to get out of the habit. You can take the "ereal" and be Fernereal. Or maybe not. I have been thinking of coming to visit you(meloy). I was up there last halloween for a party, and could very possibly do the same this year. From reading your blog it sounds like you are doing great.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi meloy, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on sauder wood working I somehow ended up on your page. As your Faith in Brilliance is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about sauder wood working, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi there meloy, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on wood working idea I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working idea. Should the need ever arise where you need information on wood working idea then drop by for a look.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home