Engage.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Things that make you go "weee"

I'm going to prove to myself that I can write a blog under no pressure whatsoever to entertain or inform. I'm so not pressured right now. I'm very relaxed. Breath in, Breath out. Everything is going to be ok. Don't force the word. Just....let it come.
Opps, I farted.
Ok, don't relax that much. Perhaps its time I pick a topic. God, I wish I could get some help with this. I'd like suggestions. May I see some hands? Hrm, that won't work. Shit, there I go again, trying to think of something funny to write about. Maybe as a warm up I could type single words that might be considered funny or fun to say. That shouldn't require much effort. Hmmm, lets see...
waddle. piddlywink. diddly. nipple. poo. toledo. jig. jizim. mignonette. sulfamethoxazole.
I looked up the last two in the dictionary. So.
Oh, here's something funny. I just glanced down into the trash can next to my desk and saw a bunch of CDs that belong to a girl I know. They're the CDs that weren't cool enough for the Record Exchange; or so the girl I know assumed after witnessing an RX employee place them in the reject pile without due consideration. I swear, this disgrace occupied her mind for atleast two full days. A fact which I find mildly amusing. I also thought it might be funny to tell all my readers which CDs they were, but then realized that, no, it wouldn't be that funny, and that, sadly, this entire subject is lacking in any real entertainment value at the moment. At any rate, I think I'm doing this girl I know a favor by throwing away the CDs. I'm sure she'd approve.
So, I guess someone said that Fern and I seem like a "fun couple". (change of subject, by the way) Evidently, we've got a reputation. Yesterday, we bolstered that reputation by engaging in unadulterated fun. We played. On playgrounds even. You really can't get more fun than that, can you? Anyway, as we played, there was a whole lot of "weee"ing going on, and if I know anything about human behavior, its that "weee"ing is indicative of people having fun. The first playground we visited was Camelsback's. It was ok, I guess. It had a pretty elaborate fortress complex thingy. You know, one of those multicolored, mostly plastic forts made up of tunnels, bridges, rails, and slides. You know, those forts that are at the center of all the parks these days. They're obnoxious, really. Regarding the Camelsback playground, I've got a couple gripes. First, there were WAY too many munchkins running around hogging all of the fortress and occupying the swingset. Second, the swing's creeking didn't inspire confidence in its ability to handle some real Xtreme swinging by an Xtreme athlete such as myself. My only reassurance was the thought that if the swingset fell on me, it would make for a dramatic scene and subsequent rescue which would look great on TV; thus, my lawsuit would surely bring in the maximum reimbursement for my alleged life-altering injuries, which in reality, wouldn't be more than a bruised rib or stubbed toe. Yeah, I'd milk it. I'm sort of broke, you see. The final complaint I have about the playground concerns the wood chips all over the place. (thanks fern for "all over the place) In my day, playgrounds came equiped with sand; which was cool, because, while it tended to make its way into all your crevasses, the fun you could have building things out of it made up for any extra cleaning that had to take place when playtime was over. Honestly, I don't know what you're supposed to do with wood chips, unless you brought wood glue to the park with you. Besides, I'd much rather have some exfoliating sand in my shoes than splinters the size of toothpicks. Stupid wood chips.
Later in the day, the girl and I sampled the playground behind her old elementary school. Again, there were dumb woodchips and a multicolored plastic fortress thingy. We managed to have a lot of fun anyway. I've got to admit that I like the halfdome viewing windows on those forts. For a moment, I felt like a hamster. The only bad thing about the whole experience was the fact that I was electrocuted while sliding down the plastic slide. I wasn't shocked, mind you. I was fucking electrocuted. I think they must've built the fortress over a buried powerline or something. When the girl I was playing with came out after me, her hair was standing straight up, as if she was just hit by a bolt of lightning. Now that I think of it, we could have been killed.
Next, we road our bikes approximately 200 feet down the path towards another happy fun place. There, we found the most exciting plastic fortress thingy of all. It was huge. We managed to make our way up several stories to the lookout room, in which we engaged in some tasteful PDA before we were interrupted by two hobbits who evidently lived in the fortress. One male hobbit had climbed up onto the outside of the tunnel slide and sat precariously just outside the lookout room. Despite the fact that a fall from such a height would have meant instant death, the hobbit acted as if nothing were the matter. The female hobbit didn't seem concerned either. She focused her attention on the girl and I, and provided us with helpful tips for surviving the trip down the extra-twisty tunnel slide. We were told to go slow and be mindful of the sharp turns. That I did, as the thought of bending my spine beyond its natural bendiness was very unappealing.
Anyway, you get the point. We had a lot of fun. Our reputation should be safe from, um, refute. Perhaps fun was had at the expense of our pride and self respect, but then again, I don't put a lot of stock in pride and self respect.

7 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

For my comment, I just wanted to lay out for posterity our experience playing frisbee with Honey Bear and Poop Face at Camel's Back. What a hoot!!! I keep thinking of lunging unattractively, leaping defiantly, running awkwardly, and jumping in attempts to grasp onto the elusive frisbee. Have you gotten those grass stains out of your $140 jeans yet??? Fun times.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Yes yes, fun times. Thanks for reminding me of yet another thing I should do--that is, shout out some stains from my jeans. hmm, maybe we should make a trip to Savers in search of some frisbee throwing jeans.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I would enjoy going to a thrift store.

Also, I don't know what you're doing next Thursday, but I just received an invitation from the United States Postal Service to attend an "informative talk" on Standard Mail vs. First Class Mail.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I'm not sure about the thrift store idea, I just threw that out there, but I love the Postal Service. We are SO there. **Further communication will commence after I take a poo (hehe), finalize the living room, shower, and pay my rent. Est. Time, 1.3 hours. End**

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow, you and I seem to be discussing things of the anal region a lot lately. Well, take your poo then. Just take it! According to the flier for the "informative talk" it says that "This presentation will be a good way for all business mailers to keep in touch with new mailing changes in the U.S. Postal Service. It will focus on determining Standard Mail eligibility and examining the entire mail piece for classification standards. This will provide you the opportunity to talk with the Postal Service about your business mailing needs. It will also provide the opportunity to network with other business industries along with local, city, county, and state agencies."

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Josh said...

The playground at night--well duh! That would be so much fun. Maybe I'll give it a go sometime soon. Fern?

I don't know the name or exact location of the park/fort we visited. Fern could probably tell you. again-Fern?

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

It was the Catalpa Park near Collister Elementary School...my childhood grammar school. sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home