Engage.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Evil Love

Here is something I wrote to a friend about a year ago. The hello and goodbye parts of the email are left out. References to "the movie" might be a little confusing. Just ignore that. Plus, there's bound to be some dumb or cliche thinking going on here, and there's most certainly a good bit of cheese, but overall, I think this is one of the more profound/interesting lines of thinking that I've taken up. I'm most intrigued by the thought that follows "If I fall in love more easily with a beautiful woman...". Also interesting to me is the subject of the good/bad of beauty/art. Finally, there's the uncertain n' strange connection between beauty, love, and sex. If anyone could tell me what thought/point struck them as the most important, I'd really appreciate it. Here it is:

--- The movie illustrated how passion driven by physical beauty (and other
>things) can cause people to fall in love, and result in so much pain
>for others.. In this way, the movie touched upon a topic that’s
>been at the forefront of my mind lately. That being the nature of
>beauty, and the role it plays in our life. I have wondered if
>beauty is something exceedingly good which we should commit our
>energy to finding, creating, and owning. Should we embrace beauty
>and seek to integrate it into our lives? Should it be something we
>use to define who we are? Or is it something that, if desired too
>greatly, is more likely to give birth to personal tragedy? Is
>beauty related to racism in its inherent injustice–the unjust,
>unequal treatment of things and people based on physical appearance?
> Does beauty, through its probable marriage to love (the main
>subject of this email), beget evil--real pain and damage that a lack
>of beauty can cause someone? I've struggled with these problems
>since I started doubting so-called truths around the age of 12.
>That’s when I started feeling more aware-more sensitive-to life's
>apparant injustices. One of my earliest axioms was that sex and
>love are two seperate, distinct things which can exist independent
>of one another. I was sick of people using the world "love" in
>place of "sex" or "lust." I knew that a person could fall in love
>without first having sex. And I suspected that one could have sex
>without falling in love. I suppose my assumption was that there was
>something more divine, more special, about love. I thought that if
>sex and love were too intertwined, then the “glory” of love would be
>diminished...after all, it was clear at the time that sex was a
>primitive instinct, and love was a product of our higher
>mind/emotions. It was clear that sex served a purpose, but not one
>so noble as love’s gift of lasting happiness. 17 years later I know
>that my axiom was correct—but at the same time, I am seeing (as in
>the movie) and feeling too great of a connection between love and
>sex to declare that they are meant to be totally independent of each
>other. Yes they can exist exclusively, but is that natural? Or is
>it a modern phenomenon? Is it forced? yarrr! i’m making my own
>head spin here... This topic is hard to grasp....its hard to
>analyze something that doesn’t seem to have a logical foundation.
>So, ok, to get closer to the real issue that compelled me to write:
>Is physical beauty (including art) allied with sex (instinctual) or
>is it allied with love (more “divine”)? It seems like I’m asking
>whether or not beauty is bad or good–like its that simple... But I
>don’t believe sex is bad, not at all. Its wonderful. Its
>undoubtedly good. Conversely, love does not always result in good
>being done....often times it binds people in unhealthy
>relationships. Whether it is love or sex that possess the greatest
>potential for causing serious emotional pain–the worst long term
>consequences–is debatable. Ok, maybe this can get me even closer to
>the point: What of a reclusive artist? Is dedicating a lifetime to
>seeking and creating beauty a shallow endeavor? What of a
>accountant or lawyer? Is a life dedicated to logic and ignorant of
>beauty noble in any way? No, no, this isn’t the point....there’s a
>point to be made here, but it is not the point I’m looking for. How
>about this question: When I look at a beautiful woman, and I
>feel...love (not lust), isn’t there something very wrong with that?
>If I fall in love more easily with a beautiful woman, doesn’t that
>say something about love—doesn’t it diminish love to something that
>is slave to beauty, and doesn’t beauty have a dark side (like
>racism, like evil [cause of extreme harm]) like I’ve discussed?
>Wouldn’t that make love have the same dark side? hmmm.... Maybe
>I’m trying to isolate a great “evil” that exists both in my heart
>and in the world’s....and that is a lack of love received. This
>shouldn’t sound overly personal. What single person doesn’t
>understand what this “evil” is? ....anyway, how can the lack of
>something be reason to blame the existence of something? How can I
>demonize beauty or love in anyway simply because people need it so
>much, and so often don’t receive enough of it? How can I demonize
>something that cannot be controlled–that naturally turns on and off
>like love? If a husband cheats on his wife because he is drawn to
>the beauty of another woman, and falls in love with her in part
>because of that attraction, how can beauty and love be blamed? How
>can he be blamed? (questions, questions, questions) So, at this
>point, I'm reminded of the popular sentiment that people cannot be
>entirely innocent...we all have free wills, right? (another topic
>of discussion) A man can choose not to sleep with another woman. A
>“good” man will adopt principles and guidelines which he will follow
>in order to preserve something he has previously determined to be of
>the highest value–his love and commitment to one woman, his wife.
>Right? Perhaps a good man can train himself to not see the beauty
>in other women....or perhaps he sees the beauty, but he is good
>because he has trained himself to not feel love or lust for other
>women. Right? It seems clear that many types of self control are
>absolutely necessary to succeed in this life... But to what extent
>should we restrain–or train–ourselves? This is where religion comes
>in for so many. It is too complicated for people to draw those
>lines themselves. But now we have arrived at some sort of Lockian
>construct.... “as long as no one else gets hurt (including
>yourself), then go ahead and embrace all the beauty, love, and sex
>you can bear-commit your life to it all” But the pain that waits
>patiently for love to fail is so great that it could kill a
>person.... Is this not an unavoidable risk? hmmm....there are
>too many issues involved here. Could it be so simple as doing what
>makes you feel the most alive as long as no one else is hurt? No,
>because often people will get hurt no matter what you do. Sometimes
>in order to save yourself from hurt you must hurt others. So, the
>goal is to minimize the suffering of others, BUT how much should we
>care? How much joy are we willing to sacrifice for others? I guess
>we should learn to find joy in things that will not lead to pain for
>others. We should learn to love in a way that will not make our
>passion slave to beauty...that will not lead us astray. BUT,
>doesn’t that make us less than human? If we do somehow love all
>people unconditionally, or if we somehow see only “inner-beauty”,
>are we sacrificing a part of ourselves which could be the source of
>the most intense, alive feelings? Isn’t passion amazing? How can
>we choose to diminish it in our hearts? Would that not be a crime?
>Our lives are short, and the lifetimes of our deepest passions are
>even shorter. Isn’t that fact enough to be some cause for
>concern–some urgency? ((maybe I’ll try to start writing in
>declaratory sentences, ok?...damn!))
>
>There are many reasons why relationships fail, but is it not true
>that one person's desire for beauty so often leads to the
>destruction of a truly beautiful love? (As in the movie) I see
>problems here....love is not so simple. If someone were really in
>love, if they were mature, they wouldn’t be drawn away from the one
>they loved by the lines, curves, and colors of another person.
>right? Some would say that for a person to fall in love, they would
>have had to already fallen out of love with someone else. Because,
>really, romantic love arises out of a need for intimacy--a
>connection--in order to fill some emptiness, and that connection
>requires so much more than perfect lines, curves, colors, and
>composition. So am I wrong to blame beauty, in part, for an event
>like divorce? And am I wrong to be somewhat wary of giving myself
>over to the power of beauty in art? How can I sanctify art, excuse
>art, when it draws me in in a way not unlike a beautiful woman
>would? And should I be concerned about figuring out which passions
>are "evil" or "wrong" and which ones are "good", "right," or even
>"pure" ?

5 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Vernarial said...

I think alot of the pain caused comes from confusion. People confuse love with lust and sex. Physical attraction is natural as we can see throughout nature. Monogamy is less prevalent, but for humans survival of the species is not an issue. We are humans and we have the ability to reason. I have often found that exterior physical beauty masks and internal ugliness and so I would hesitate to sacrifice love because of a desire for physical beauty. I also find that true love can make you see more beauty in someone who might not be considered physically beautiful by others. Beauty is just the attractant that brings us to love. Sex used to be the ultimate gift that you saved for the one you fell in love with. Now it's thrown around like a basketball. Sex has become a game, a pastime, just something you do for fun. Some problems arise from this. Our bodies release certain chemicals and endorphins during sex that give that sense of euphoria so often confused with love. Yes love can cause pain, but I don't really think beauty can cause pain. Beauty is not the culprit, our own human weaknesses and inabilities to control them are what really cause the pain. Beauty is just the worm on the hook.

Damn I should have just put this on my blog. It's long enough. ;)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Yeah, human weakness and control is the problem. I didn't include a conclusion that I wrote for this (er, deleted it) stating that I said that it takes a lot of maturity/discipline to really get the best out of love, beauty, and sex, instead of just reveling in one of those and forsaking the rest.
I esp like your statement "Some problems arise from this". Dry, humorous understatement... I'm looking forward to going over the issue more later. I've got to jump a plane soon, so ciao.
p.s. can you copy and paste the comment? Its blog worthy for sure.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Incidentally, what movie was it?

I would have liked to have read your conclusion. I don't recall what the final word was.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Fernifer, I can't remember the name of the movie..I think it was a short name...A boring movie, although stimulatingly depressing, if that makes sense. Here's the conclusion I came up with at the time, sans embarrasing analogy:

I'm inclined to conclude, in part, that romantic love requires extraordinarily high levels of understanding and discipline if it is to last. Maybe one needs a complete awareness of the dangers of letting any passion, including art, become greater than the passion you have for the one you love. If we truly believe that we are our emotions, that we are our love, and that when our love is truly one love between two people we are most alive when it is a perfect, uninterrupted bond.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Yeah, I think love and lust are always confused. Which isn't a big surprise since it can be hard to define what love is. Some people just don't try, they just don't give love any credit, and concern themselves only with getting a piece. Lazy mofos.
So you're saying that since we have the ability to reason, we have a big advantage over other species--we can see internal ugliness and beauty. We can make smart decisions about who we allow ourselves to fall in love with. Yes, it would suck to spend so much emotional capital by falling in love with someone only to find out later that they offer nothing back but hatred/negative emotions.
So beauty is a means to an ends; primarily, to tempt us into a position that will ultimately lead to true love.? I like it. Once love is achieved and is more or less guaranteed to stay, does beauty still serve a purpose? I don't know...
You said that "Sex used to be the ultimate gift that you saved for the one you fell in love with. Now its thrown around..." And you concluded that because the sense of euphoria that comes from sex-released hormones is so often confused with love, people confuse sex with love, which can be a problem. And I see how this confusion could cause people to become attached to their sexual partner in what would likely be an unhealthy, painful relationship, since its likely that 1) one person in the relationship does not feel the same, or 2) the two people are not a great match--one could be abusive or a deadbeat or whatever.
I agree, someone who thinks that sex is a game will likely get hurt. And I agree that love, or the loss of love, can cause pain. Its closely related to pain, I think.
You said that our own inability to control our weaknesses is the culprit-the cause of our pain.
I don't have much to discuss here, since I agree with every you wrote, more or less (except your "greatest gift" comment, but we can debate that some other time). I'll just leave you with a question, just because I'm curious. How do we become stronger? How do we rid ourselves of our weaknesses? Thoughts?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home