Engage.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Journal Entry

Have I been high all day?? I've been so extremely active both physically and mentally all damn day that I've got to ask myself this question. Am I flying high on fumes?? I'm reminded of a Beck song-back when Beck songs were still cool-that goes, "there's a fume in this truck, and I don't know what the fuck is up...", er, something like that.
So I've got good reason to doubt my own sobriety. Ever since 10:30 am today I've been the primary mover in an effort to get the entire showroom floor waxed at my place of employment, George's Cycles and Fitness. The stuff we've been using to wax the floor is acrylic-based (as I'm sure most waxes are) and smells a little like amonia. Whatever it is, all day it made its way into my nostrils and lungs. Hrm, maybe its time I start keeping an exact count of my brain cells.
Besides the observation that fumes where wafting off the waxed floor and into my eyes and nose, I find support for the proposition that I could be high by thinking back on my behavior today. No, I did not break out into a fit of uncontrollable, unwarranted laughter. Nor did I stuff my pie hole with dorritos, twinkies, and the like (I'm always ready and willing to). All I did was work my ass off for 12 hours straight, with little slowing. I moved bikes and display racks, vacummed, mopped, helped customers, answered the phone, and "waxed on" (no waxing off).
I've been feeling a bit feeble lately, physically speaking. I haven't worked out in the longest time. So, maybe that's why I just didn't feel like calling it quits with the hard manual labor today. Talk about a quality core muscle workout! Mopping and waxing really employ the entire mid to upper body. I fell into a rhythm-a flow, if you will-and just kept it up, hour after hour. Plus, I've got this whole "sense of accomplishment" and "pride" thing, where I feel good about myself if I perform well on the job and exceed everybody's expectations. I know, sick. Don't worry, I'm seeking help, and hope to overcome this affliction in short order. Tonight, however, I was all about exceeding expectations, and that kept me focused on the goal.
Staying with this subject, since I know it has everyone on the edge of their seat, I'll add that the reason I worked as hard and as long as I did today is because it is very difficult to get the once-a-year waxing job done during normal business hours. Its very obstructive for customers who may want to roam the shop. The extra work I did after hours tonight will take a lot of pressure off of Sandy and my coworkers tomorrow and Saturday, as they won't need to worry about trying to wax the main entry way and aisles on the bussiest days of the week.

For several months, I've been meaning to start a journal. Since Fern and I started dating a year ago, daily events have become substantially more noteworthy and worth remembering. Hell, I'm even ok with photos now, whereas when we met, I was rather anti-photo for a few good reasons. For example, photos are almost never flattering-they are usually the opposite of flattering. Also, photo takers can spoil a genuine moment, a true experience that should be about the experience and not about posing for a photo. I've come to my senses though, and have realized that sooner or later life might not be as good, or else it can only be made better by reliving the good times. I'm pro living vicariously through any means available, even photography. Why? Because its fun. And taking photos is fun. So, yay fun. ok?
Yeah, the journal. This is it for now. I can't promise entertainment. Things made for the record are rarely entertaining. If it spices things up, I might let you know when I toot or something.
Goodnight.

2 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Josh said...

do I have the power to delete comments on my blog?? anyone?

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think that you can delete comments, but I cannot tell you right at this moment.

What a sexy worker bee you are. That must feel satisfying to accomplish so much in so little time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home