Engage.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Tomorrow is just a day away

I've started blogs and journal entrees before with whining prefaces about not feeling inclined to write whatsoever. Sometimes its a struggle and I've got to let everyone know about it. "Wah!! I want to eat a bowl of cereal and watch 'America's Wildest Police Chases! Boo hoo, 'Crime Scene Investigator' just started!" When I get this whiny about something as easy as typing a few words for friends and family to hear what's on my mind or what I'm up to, I mentally bitch slap myself and do it anyway. Here's me doing it anyway. Fascinating so far, huh?

Tomorrow at 4:30, Fern and I are hitting the road-the pristine Redfish Lake our destination. We're looking forward to a mountain bike ride over the legendary Fisher Creek loop. Fern has recently made a noticeable jump in fitnesse and finesse on the bike, so I know that she will especially love the ride.

It's been five years since I last romped around the Sawtooths. Its almost embarrasing to admit that, because they're only a few hours away and so startling, so pristine, that its a crime not to visit every summer. This won't happen this weekend, but I'd love to hike up to one of the dozens of blue, glassy high mountain lakes and set up camp. Maybe in the next month or two Fern and I could manage another trip to the Sawtooths in order to enjoy a more intimate campout in a slightly more remote location. Fern keeps mentioning a place called Blue Lake. Apparently, only she and like one other person have ever set eyes on the area.

We're making the trip to Redfish Lake for the purpose of attending our friends' wedding. Originally Fern's friends, now mine I hope (can I atleast hang with you guys?), Devlyn and Ben are tying the knot at one of the most beautiful locations on earth. And to think that the backdrop for so many marriages is a cross, steeple, and maybe some stained glass! How could a couple do better than a glacial lake surrounded by thick pine forest and towering jagged peaks? Really. I want to know.

From what I've heard, there's going to be some quality social bonding going on between a lot of people. Fern is supplying a five person tent, in which we will attempt to shelter five people from the bitterly cold mountain nights. I'm going to be in there somewhere, I think. I like the idea. I think it will be fun. I just hope that people are mindful of what they eat the day before. Smells happen, I know, but still, there's a degree of prevention that everyone might want to take. Maybe Fern and I won't do Pollo Rey for burritos after all. At any rate, Fern and I have a game plan for dealing with a potentially loud or distracting bedtime. We call it "A Flask of Southern Comfort".

Anyway, all of Fern's (and my) friends are a hoot and a half, so I'm really looking forward to having a lot of fun in such a beautiful setting.

5 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Oh, I'd like to thank god that the wedding is at Redfish instead of, say, Tamarack resort, because I'd hate for George Bush to spoil our good vibes. The Prez is coming to Idaho for a little R&R this next week. (I wonder if I still have my anti-war posters stowed away somewhere?)

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Vernarial said...

Sounds like a blast. Enjoy yourself.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh...so that's why you nixed my Pollo Rey idea. ...hrm.
Yes, the bottle of "So-Co" shall do us well...I hope.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Amy Claybaugh said...

Good times, good times. I was glad to be part of the Early To Bed Fogies Camp (at least part of the time).

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Ms. Chan, it was good times indeed. Do you have a blog, Ms. Chan, because I can't seem to find it...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home