Engage.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Like yesterday, today began with a Jennifer meetup at the Flying M coffeehouse. There we chatted about very random things. We did this for about an hour or so before she needed to start getting errands done and I needed to get to work. Work was uneventful but enoyable. I spent a little of my time tinkering on the internet and flipping through catalogs in search of a frame to serve as the basis for my current obsession/concept: a street bike; aka, urban assault vehicle. There's a void in my life which can only be filled by building and owning a lightweight, aero-dynamic, nimble, quick stopping, simple-geared, chain-guarded city bike. The problem is that there is no aero frame that I know of which can accomodate the brakes n' gears I want. So, today, I decided to give up on the aero bit and take stock of the options available. My eyes finally rested on, as they have before, a "cafe racer" bike made by Bianchi, called the Milano. A bike which we have in stock at Georges. Nearly committed to the basic framework of the concept, I began thinking of how I would "Josh it up", as my boss would say. Yes, there would be a lot of joshing it up, if I ever manage to possess the bike. Till then, its only a dream. I'm a dreamer, and the larger dreams take priority over the smaller ones. There's talk in the Joshifer camp of a trip to San Fransisco this year. I'd love to make more than one trip as well. Both trips would be what we call a priority over building a bike that would only be marginally quicker, better handling, and better shifting that what I have now.
Sometimes my common sense sickens me...
Back to my day. After work I ate spicy chicken sandwhiches while playing spider solitare (multitasker). Then I lifted weights (shoulder shrugs and curls) and did pushpus. Later, Fern picked me up and we enjoyed relaxing at Barnes and Nobles, reading mountain bike and celebrity magazines, as well as reading a very respectable work of fiction (Fern) and exploring new music (Me!).
Before letting loose on blogger, Eric and I chatted a bit about his snowboarding adventure today (his first time! congratulations Eric!) and watched highly entertaining video of bike messenger races on the crowded streets of big cities. One highlight involved the racer with the helmet camera side swiping a car and breaking off its mirror, after which the driver chased the cyclist who was riding the wrong way down a busy highway in order to avoid the angry driver yelling obscenities from the other side of the median. Another video featured a 4 piece punk band being pulled around on a trailor by a tandem bicycle through the streets of Boston. Ahh, good times. And an inspiration to me. Sometimes to have fun you have to behave recklessly. Right? Right?
Goodnight.

3 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I am enjoying this "journal" style of blogging. And I will begin diligently working on a time frame for when I can take time off work for big city adventuring.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I have been excited about all of the Josh reading material for me.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Josh said...

maybe I'll progress from journal entrees to essays to manifestos to scripture--ya wanna join my religion? The church of immediate gratification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home