Engage.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

You'd think that snow would someday fail to surprise me when I see it first thing in the morning. Well, today was not that day. I awoke to an inch of it outside my apartment and marveled over how it fell from the sky just like fake movie snow. For the briefest moment I doubted whether I could pilot my bike through the slick stuff a half mile to the Flying M coffee house where I was scheduled to meet Fern for a mocha. That brief moment of doubt was followed by a more sustained experience of fun times-setting out in the snow which was falling fast, dodging fun-runners, and managing to stay upright all the way to the M.
I sat next to Jennifer at the M and proceeded to engage her in conversation. I'm a fantastic conversationalist, by the way. There's non better at starting a discussion, and I doubt that in the wide world there is anyone that listens as intently as I. Otherwise, I'm not a huge talker, which might bother me if it weren't for the fact that conversation starters and intent listeners are roles which are critical to any quality interaction. Plus, I'd venture a guess that skills in these areas are rarer among the general populous than skills in other aspects of conversation.
I'm sorry. Slap me if I ever get that quirky again.
So, Fern told me about her restless, eventful night trying to sleep at the house she was sitting. She also told me about how her finger was nearly bitten off by a devil dog. Er, atleast a dog that acted as though it were possessed for a time. It was the very same dog that I had issues with yesterday. Goddam em'! In addition, Fern explained to me how it happened that she became covered in someone elses pubic hairs, and I explained to her how I didn't want to have sex with her ever again. There was much more said at our meeting this morning, but I don't want to steal all of Fern's good material, so I'll leave it alone.
We then jumped into the Corrolla and sped down State street in search of expensive clothing items (*fernglish) in the metropolitan center of Eagle. Expensive clothing items we found. And not only were they expensive, they rocked. Fern owns a pair of Hudsons that are so damned marvelous, that I doubted that I'd see her in anything else that came close in terms of sexinitude. Oh ho ho, but I did today. In fact, the Joes jeans she left the store with may nock the Hudsons off the throne of, um, sexinitude...? Jesus.
We stopped by a couple other high end clothing stores. One was the quintessential modern Eagle country gal store, if you get my drift. Faith Hill probably owns every peice they carried. The other store had jeans with a sequined skull affixed to the right upper thigh. Enough said. Bye the way, if anyone could explain the appeal of sequins to me, Fern and I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone could explain the appeal of pointy toed shoes that look like they are made from the fur of a brown and white cow, I'll buy you dinner.
In Eagle we ate at Subway. Later, we would eat at Pollo Rey. This was our day to eat cheaply.
After we ate at Subway and checked out a local Bike shop in which I engaged in a completely pointless bit of small talk with someone I used to work with. "Oh, your still in school huh? How much do you have left?" That sort of shit.
We went to Dillards, which I don't count as the Mall, since Dillards has acceptable clothing items and shoes. The old guy in the shoe department must know I have a weakness for Deisel shoes because he's always bringing in the latest model. I bought the latest today. They're sooo cool. They're, um, sooo black and stuff. What can I say?
Fern and I were drawn out into the mall because we couldn't help but think of other things that we needed. Having accomplished some more shopping (something we Americans are exceptionally good at), we left the Mall with our entire life force drained. Malls tend to do that to you.
Having had her life force sapped from her very core by the mall and having not really had much to begin with (she got two hours sleep last night, maybe), Fern needed a nap. I strangely did not (naps are usually my favorite thing). So, Fern dropped me off at the M, where I spent my time reading a book about the philosophy of Communism. My thought on that: How could Hegel develop a philosophy based on the interconnectedness of everything when it is evident that seperateness exists within the great expanse of the universe. Anyway,
While Fern still napped, I walked to the Lux second hand clothing store and the Book and Game store, where I lounged and read magazines. Then I went to the Record Exchange and very nearly bought Ryan Adam's new CD "29". On the subject of Music, I'm excited about the upcoming release from the Shins, due out late spring.
Fern and I returned to her apartment and felt really lame and lethargic and indecisive until the thought occured that we coud ride our bikes at my apartment and watch an episode of Sex in the City. It was a brilliant thought. Which changed the course of the rest of the evening for us.
Now, I'm about to wrap this up, grab a bowl of icecream and watch this very strange flick that Eric rented called the Aristocrats. Hilarious, actually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home