Engage.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Funny thing, I've got nothing to say. Of course, I know that's not true, but it is true that I'm typing this not because I have to get something off my chest. Nor am I feeling compelled to share some amazing new insight into the nature of being human, alive, beautiful, or dead sexy. I'm pretty sure I just like the feeling of my fingers tapping rapidly and rhythmically on the keyboard. And then there's that pleasant tinge of excitement I feel each time I'm about to think into unthought-of territory. Going where none of Josh's brain cells have gone before!(sorry) Actually, 9 times out of 10 I'm probably reitterating something I first scribbled in my journal when I was 14. Who cares. If 10% of the time I think of one idea that is new to me, even if its just one phrase surrounded by a plethora of obvious observations and simple reasoning, then I'm stoked.

Speaking of being excited, what's wrong with me? I get so amped up at work sometimes. Take today. Soon after I got to work I jumped on my bike, rode to the Fish and Game center a half mile away, and purchased two maps of a chunk of southwest Idaho including Boise, the Boise front, Nampa, Caldwell, Melba, Emmett, Horshoe Bend, the Snake River, Marsing, Homedale, Parma, and all of the surrounding area. The aquisition of these maps was something I had been planning to achieve for some time, ever since we created a new sitting area in the corner of the shop. I enjoy showing people exciting routes they can take on their road bikes, so a while back I made the decision that we would buy and display a detailed road map of the area. What's extra cool is that I decided to do it and I did it. My job grants me the freedom to determine what I think needs to be done, and I'm almost always able to do it without objections from the bosses. The entire shop-the largest bike shop in Boise and one of the largest bike shops in the country-is one big project that I get to work on every work day. Making things more organized, efficient, clean, and beautifully displayed sometimes feels like playing a video game. I'm not sure why. It may have to do with the satisfaction I get when each small improvement is made and I can stand back and stare at it, satisfied with the change. Its like making it to the next level. And rarely is a project difficult to accomplish, just like Super Mario Bros-fun!
Anyway, I hope I'm not making anyone sick with all of this "aint my job great" stuff. My job isn't great enough for me to not ask for a raise, which I plan to do in the coming days. Its been over a year since my last one, and I think its only expected and fair that the bosses grant me a 10% increase, especially considering profits were up around 20% since last year. (I wonder if anyone's heard me say that before)
I really hate sounding like a "company man". Its way to easy to become one of those people who seem to live for their jobs. Becoming good at a job is one of the lamer ways to gain a sense of pride, in my opinion. One might begin to rely on their job as their source of pride. If you do something often enough for long enough, you're going to become good at it, but that doesn't mean you're automatically a well rounded, healthy, and happy person. Accomplishing something on the job can be your drug, and you end up not being happy unless you get your fix. And that's not cool. That said, I'm having fun seeing the shop progress with my help. Otherwise, when I'm not at work, I've got other things to think about, talk about, obsess over, and have fun with. Which is funny, because wasn't I just talking about what I did today at work? Ah, screw reason! Logic is so over rated. Let me tell you what else I did today! I called a man about getting some unfolded Ridge to Rivers trail maps. He stopped in and dropped them off. I took them to Kinkos and had them backed with foam core. I reorganized the cyclocomputer area, making more room for all the different models and significantly decluttering things. As a part of that project, I made an organized, easy to use compartment system for our computer accessories. I vaccummed and mopped the corner area. Yeah, and I did some other stuff. I've lost the love for listing things off and talking about work.
I received an informative email from dear ol' Mom today. I learned that it snowed so much in Arkansas that church was cancelled. You'd think that a people who pushed handcarts all the way from Independence, Missouri to the Great Salt Lake could drive their cars through 4 inches of snow two miles to church. Oh right, they might want to avoid another Donner Party cannibalism episode. I also learned that "my sister the lawyer" will have a letter published in People magazine in the March 6th issue. My youngest sister recently came upon an accident on the highway and had to help a man who was injured when his car was struck by a semi. And that's exciting, in a morbid sort of way.
I've been watching the Tour of California on ESPN2 for the last 3 nights. America's best riders-the riders who usually only race in Europe-have all shown up to race in California. Nearly all of them are currently in the top 10 and within a couple minutes of each other in the general race classifications (total elapsed time). Its been great to see professional cycling get such great coverage in the U.S. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who is excited about the possibility of this race becoming bigger and bigger every year.
Wow, apparantly I've got some things to say, but nothing extremely intellectually stimulating. At least those things aren't for me, so I'll guess they aren't for most everyone else reading. I'll abide by the rule that if its not stimulating, you might as well stop it; therefore, goodnight.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

So much to read, not enough time. You should grab a copy of these maps for me to look at, what a great idea. It's nice to have enthusiasm for one's job, eh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home