Engage.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Yesterday's post is and isn't the sort of thing I'm going for. Yeah, late in life I want to be able to remember the things I did when I could do anything, when my body could take it and my heart did not fear it; but presenting just the facts does little to reproduce my life. I've got to remember to share some thoughts and feelings. Moreover, I'm hoping to sharpen my vision, my ability to observe the little joys and humor of day to day life. Fern is great at that.
So, the day started with a lack-luster wardrobe-induced anxiety attack. The jeans I chose to wear to work had come out of the dryer so shrunken that I felt like Joey Ramone after putting them on. I believe that noone should rock the painted-on jeans look unless they are indeed a rock star, or a female, and even then, its not always the best move. Later at work, after the jeans had stretched out a bit, I realized that I was happy with the fit. Jeans that are too tight work much better for me than jeans that are too baggy. The latter is unacceptable.
Now that I've revealed to the world that I'm a shallow self-centered fashion fiend for the umpteenth time, let me tell you about the rest of my day. Before work, I managed to bend my legs in my tight jeans just enough to pedal down to the Flying M and have a mocha with Jennifer. As usual, we engaged in good humored Joshifer banter that doubles as a comedy bit for anybody within earshot. Sometimes I'm amazed that folks nearbye remain composed, pretending to read their books or papers, when the two of us are on a roll.
Work was busy. I felt particularly outgoing and articulate with customers, riding a small wave of motivation after my trip to Specialized. The Specialized professors demonstrated a level of professionalism, knowledge, and enthusiasm that was above what I was accustomed to, and it was a great inspiration for me. I came away from the experience clearly seeing how success in business and sales has so much to do with the attitude you project when dealing with people. You want to demonstrate confidence, concern, and passion. I put some of this wisdom to use today. It was great practice. By the way, I will not rest until I reach ultimate perfection and enlightenment and am translated directly to the kingdom of heaven. I'm kidding.
After work, Fern gave me and my new set of Powerblock weights a ride home from the shop. I'm excited about the weights. They are essentially two sets of dumbells, from 10 to 45 pounds. But each set is integrated into a large block, and the weight is selected by moving a pit from slot to slot. Both 10-45lb sets sit on a custom 3 foot high stand that takes up no more than two square feet of my living room floor. Its such an easy to use, ergonomic, streamlined set up, that I think I'll actually use it. I will not stop lifting until I look like Sly Stalone in Demolition Man. I'm kidding.
So, I worked out for about an hour. Then I cleaned up the house a bit and had dinner. Later, Fern picked me up and we went to Barnes n' Nobles and selected several travel books about San Francisco and got comfortable. That's about all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home