Engage.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

If a flu doesn't go away, it might as well be interesting. Mine has done so by being markedly different each of the three days I've had it. Day one was "oh shit, I've got a tumor" day. Day two was "flu, what flu?" day, as all of my symptoms drastically diminished thanks to my taking the day off of work and subsequently resting and drinking a lot. On day three it was the flu's turn, declaring, "I aint done yet", as a general feeling of crappiness filled my person once again.
Of course this sucks, because with being sick, it seems as if everything about me that rocks goes into deep hibernation. Its like I'm half the man I used to be (cue Stone Temple Pilots). Where's my charm gone? My sense of humor? My mojo? My zeal for seizing the moment? For the moment, they seem to have dissappeared.
Things could be worse. As a matter of fact, my symptoms are some of the least miserable symptoms I've ever had with a bout of flu. So every now and then I've got a flemy cough that hurts a little. At least my nose isn't stuffed up and running like a leaky faucet. So my throat is a bit sore and my glands feel a tad swollen. At least my throat doesn't feel like an ice pick is being stabbed into it every time I swallow like it did when I had mono a year ago. I can breath air, swallow water, and eat food relatively painlessly; which given that I have a roof over my head, is all that a person needs, right? See, its good to have perspective about these things. Enough about me and my silly flu.
Work sucked today because Armagedon is nigh and no one but me seems capable of recognizing it. Seriously, its sooo busy and its not even the busy time of year. Even with the employees we have now, we can't get the things done that we need to get done from day to day. At the rate things are going, we'll be running out of bikes and sucking at customer service by the end of the month. But, whatever. I like to believe that I have the wisdom to try to change the things that I can change and accept the things I can't change, and all that nonsense. [hmm, I think there's a creature outside my sliding glass door. I heard a noise. Well, I hope it likes the mashed potatoes and gravy I threw out there last night]
I met up with Fern at the Flicks today after work. We watched Brokeback Mountain. An awesome movie, to say the least. Absolutely stunning in its simplicity, realism, and tragedy. A movie that pulls on your heart strings in just the same way all movies about love, lack of love, divorce, and death do. It was an extraordinarily unoriginal movie, except that its rare to view a love story about two gay men. In addition, it was way beyond ordinary in terms of acting, directing, and producing in general.
Tomorrow I work from 10am to 9pm. I've agreed to man the 3rd annual Boise Bike Swap from 6-9 in exchange for getting my sick day back-the one I utilized yesterday. I was hoping I'd have this flu beat by Friday, but I somehow doubt that being on my feet 11 hours tomorrow is going to help in that goal. At any rate, I've never been to the Bike Swap, and I'm curious to see what its like. Maybe I'll find something I've got to have. Which would be exciting.

4 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger The PC said...

i have the flu too.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Josh said...

i am sorry. i hope it's as mild as mine.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Did you see my comment on the last post? I don't think you did.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Josh said...

I didn't see your comment...I will go see it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home